Under the direction of the Band Manager, the Aboriginal Family Support Worker is responsible for:
• Addictions counselling and referral services;
• Facilitating the delivery of prevention services by Dilico Anishinabek Family Care as well as other outside collaterals;
• Identifying the prevention needs of the community in cooperation with other service providers and organizations;
• Jointly with Chief and Council, develop and implement a community support plan;
• Provide discussion groups focusing on self-empowerment, understanding dependency and resultant hostility and violence, the nature of oppression and how this can be overcome with the understanding of cultural realities; public education events;
• Public education events focusing on parenting, assisting children through difficult times, developing healthy social/recreational programs for families including children and youth;
• Responding to the developing need for a specific intervention for a community social problem.
• Ability to speak the Anishinabe language is considered an asset.
• An understanding of the Child and Family Services Act is an asset;
• Knowledge and understanding of Anishinabe culture, values and teachings is an asset;
• Knowledge and understanding of First Nation community social needs and priorities is an asset;
• Must have a valid Ontario driver’s license and access to personal vehicle;
• Post secondary degree/diploma or equivalent in Family Support Worker, Child & Youth Worker or the Social Sciences.
based on experience and/or qualifications for 37.50 flexible hours per week.
January 14, 2019 1:30 p.m.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume including 3 references to:
Robert Reece, Financial Director/Personnel
Michipicoten First Nation
Box 1, Site 8, RR#l Wawa, ON P0S lK0
We thank all applicants, however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Preference may be given to a member of Michipicoten First Nation or a member of aboriginal descent where two applicants are of equal qualification. For a complete job description please contact the Finance/Personnel department.